MORE traffic woes along Epifanio De los Santos Avenue are to now be expected all week long after the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority announced early this week that more reblocking and road repairs will be carried out along that major thoroughfare every weekend until November.
Acting MMDA General Manager Jose Arturo “Jojo” Garcia on Tuesday said the private contractor of the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) have already began working on a 170-meter stretch this weekend, April 6 to 8, from Eugenio Lopez Drive to Scout Boromeo.
The MMDA official said road repair will continue on more portions of Edsa up to Pinatubo area in Cubao, Quezon City in the succeeding weekends until November 2-4.
The massive road repair, according to Garcia, is part of DPWH’s road maintenance project intended to improve EDSA’s badly-damaged pavement. Entire roadwork will cover 1.6 kilometers stretch of Edsa.
“Road damage may get worse if we will delay the repair,” added Garcia.
Meanwhile, Garcia said contractors were advised to observe guidelines in parking their equipment and the right procedure in pouring concrete so as to minimize obstructions along Edsa, the country’s busiest thoroughfare.
“Chairman Danilo Lim gave strict orders to follow the road repairs schedule and for the contractors not to obstruct traffic with their equipment and vehicles,” said Garcia.
It can be recalled that the DPWH had started working on Edsa since last month. Areas covered by the ongoing repairs were the stretch of Aurora Boulevard to P. Tuazon on the southbound side and Nepa Q-Mart to Kamuning area on the northbound side.
The ongoing reblocking activities are being done one lane per every segment only during the weekends.
Based on records, around 300,000 vehicles are traversing Edsa daily. Motorists are advised to avoid Edsa and use Mabuhay Lanes and other alternative routes to avoid being caught in traffic.