MORE air travelers are expected to use the Ninoy Aquino International Airport as the Monday opening of the regular school year fast approaches.
This was disclosed by the Manila International Airport Authority as it prepares for the expected rise in number of air travelers coming to Manila from different parts of the world and the country’s provinces.
The MIAA, in a statement, says it is implementing heightened security measures at the airport complex in cooperation with other government agencies like the Philippine National Police, Department of Education, Office for Transportation Security, Bureau of Customs, Bureau of Immigration and the Bureau of Quarantine. It also assures the public that they have sufficient personnel to ensure smooth passenger flow.
Moreover, the MIAA also gave assurances that NAIA can accommodate students and teachers coming from different provinces as they fly in and return to Metro Manila and nearby provinces.
While June may not be the busiest month for flying, passengers will get the same level of security at the airport as that of the peak season, the MIAA said.
It also added that the heightened alert status at the NAIA will be enforced until June 20 as part of the inter-agency “Oplan Balik Eskwela” initiative headed by the DepEd, the MIAA said.
Meanwhile, the MIAA reveals that there were 154,534 more air travelers who used NAIA in the month of June last year compared to the same month in 2014. Specifically, there were 2,958,763 air travelers last June compared to only 2,804,229 for the same month in the preceding year.