Grains of Salt

5 Household Mistakes That Could Burn Your House Down – Philsfirst

© http://www.philsfirst.com.ph
© http://www.philsfirst.com.ph

According to the National Statistical Board (NSBC) , the National Capital Region, or Metro Manila, had the largest record of fire incidents from 2010 to 2013. The study also tells that a large number of these occurrences started in residential areas.

Many Filipinos usually ignore fire safety until it’s too late. Doing house checks before going away from home is important and necessary to protect your family from a potential disaster. And for that, we listed five household mistakes that you should keep an eye on and then stop altogether:

1. Unattended Kitchen Equipment

Always keep in mind to turn off the LPG, the stove, and other kitchen equipment after using them. If you’re the forgetful one, there’s no harm in putting up notes on the cupboard about it. This way, you can prevent incidents such as gas leak, which, as you know when exposed to fire, could cause a building to blow up.

3. Faulty Electrical Wiring

Yes, we always hear this every time fire news flashes on TV, but it happens. Overloading an extension cord beyond its capacity could cause a short circuit and then eventually spark fire. Moreover, cheap electrical equipment are in danger to overheat quickly and then explode. So, make sure to buy electrical equipment you could trust, and then use them properly.

3. Leaving An Open Fire

Romantic candle-light dinners are surely sweet. But it wouldn’t if it will burn down your house afterwards. Be extra careful when using open fires and put them out after use. Store away fire igniters like matchsticks and lighters; keep them out of reach of children.
Also, if you’re going to leave your candles outside on Araw ng Patay (November 1), make sure to isolate them from flammable materials. Ready a bucket of water nearby just in case.

4. Smoking

However little, a cigarette ember still can cause a great fire disaster. Unattended cigarette placed near a combustible material, like cloth, is a threat to your safety. For smokers, practice using a deep, fireproof ashtray. Make sure to extinguish the cigarette completely afterwards. For non-smokers, assign a smoking area in the house, where cigarette embers could not ignite anything.

5. Overnight Charging

Do not charge your cellphone, or any other electrical gadget, overnight. Once the gadget becomes fully charged, excess energy it receives will cause it to overheat, and then start fire. There have been many cases of deaths due to an explosion from overly charged gadget. So, only use original batteries or chargers. They may be expensive, but this cost will be nothing if your house burned down with all your other luxuries.

We know that fire incidents have the power to turn your family’s life upside down in an instant. That’s why PhilsFirst offers a security plan that could ensure your family’s safety and well-being in case of these accidents. Home First has an extensive coverage ranging from Rental Value Expenses, Fire Fighting Expenses, among others.

If you need more information on Home First, visit this website at: http://www.philsfirst.com.ph/home-first.

 

 

Article © http://www.philsfirst.com.ph

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.